It’s no surprise we love a good backdrop, and even more so when you can make it yourself. Juli of Juli Vaughn Designs is with us to share the secrets behind her inspiring floating candlestick backdrop from today’s styled shoot, so I’ll let her take it away from here!
For this project, you will need:
*Large Black Foamcore Board
*19-21 Gauge Wire
*2 Large Brass Desk Clips (Mine are from Anthro and can be found here)
1. Set the Board Upright.
2. Pierce Foamcore Board straight through with about 1/4 of the length of the wire.
3. Make a “U” shape with wire and insert the other end about 1 inch from original piercing. (Make sure the two entry points are level.)
4. Insert top cup of Brass Candlestick into the “U” shape and hold the candlestick in place.
5. From the back of the board, secure the Brass Candlestick by tightening the wire just like you would with a twist-tie.
6. Continue these steps until you have the shape and amount of candlesticks you would like.
7. Secure the Brass Clips and tie Ribbons to suspend.
8. Hang the Board and insert Taper Candles.
*Tip: When inserting candles into the candlesticks, make sure to angle them AWAY from the board. You want your love to burn, not the backdrop.
Caution: just as you would handle candles anywhere, make sure these candles are far away enough from the surface holding them. You can also LED taper candles as an alternative.