Choosing your wedding venue can be one of the most exciting to-do’s in the planning process, and we’re guessing your a pretty savvy bride. You know there are a lot of considerations to keep in mind before booking because let’s face it, dreamy aesthetic doesn’t always equal smooth flow. A perfect venue for your cousin Mary might not be the perfect venue for you due to a number of different factors. It’s important to know your dealbreakers (and stick to them!) as you analyze each venue’s strengths and limitations. So we’ve rounded up 18 solid questions to ask when you do your first site tour!
Let’s dive in!
1. What is the availability surrounding our preferred dates?
2. What are the rates for different days of the week, and how does that differ by season?
3. As we plan our day-of timeline for ourselves and our vendors, how many hours are included in the rental?
4. How many events do you typically host in one day/weekend?
5. How do you structure the payment schedule?
6. Are there any fees we should be aware of that are not included in the main venue fee (service charges, cleaning, corkage, etc)?
7. What is the cancellation policy?
8. Do we have to use your approved vendors or can we bring in our own?
9. Are there any restrictions (logistical, noise, handicap, etc)?
10. What is your policy on sparklers, candles, hanging lights from the walls or ceilings, etc?
11. How many bathrooms do you have?
12. Is there a designated smoking area?
13. Is parking available on-site, and if so, what does that look like? How many spaces, will guests be charged, etc?
14. Do you have locations for rain backup?
15. At what level will your staff be involved in set up and strike?
16. What equipment does your venue provide for entertainment + dining?
17. Do you have a food and beverage minimum? What happens if we don’t meet it?
18. Can we bring outside liquor in or do we have to purchase through you?
Of course, there are plenty more detailed questions you can ask for peace of mind (the world wide web is your best friend here)! We may be biased, but hiring a planner is one of the best decisions you can make to alleviate the burden of knowing what to ask + how to translate the answers to real life. And not just real life, the big life event! So buckle up for the research journey and don’t forget to keep celebratory champagne in healthy supply – after all, wedding planning is always the perfect excuse!