Cozying up with some warm apple cider + doughnut holes and getting your craft on with your besties – doesn’t it sound like a fun bridal shower idea for a winter bride? Lauren Wells Events and Krissy of Pollen Floral Design recently threw such an event at Fenway West Elm captured by Cambria Grace Photography, where they taught their guests how to make some supremely cute mugs and flower arrangements. The best part? These hand-decorated mugs and plates would double as amazing bridesmaid or bridal shower gifts!
From the stylist, Lauren Wells: Krissy Price from Pollen Floral Design and I hosted a styling workshop at West Elm a few weeks back. I styled the table, and in lieu of “placecards,” personalized each person’s plate with a porcelain pen, writing why I was thankful for them. Krissy designed the flowers for the table as well. We then showed everyone how to bring two of those DIYs to life – the floral centerpiece, and DIY porcelain mugs. It is the perfect season for steaming cups of cocoa and hot, spiced teas, and I thought these mugs would make a thoughtful (and inexpensive!) gift for the holidays.
For this project, you will need:
-plain porcelain mug
-porcelain pens (we used these)
-carbon paper (optional)
1. Make sure your mug is clean and completely dry, and make sure your pens are fully shaken and blotted.
2. Get creative, and start drawing! You can freehand it (as shown in the images), or you can use carbon paper to trace a monogram or other detailed image. (If using carbon paper, just tape the carbon side to the mug, and the image you want to trace on top, face up. Use a pencil or another sharp point to trace over the image, and then remove the carbon paper. Trace over the carbon lines with a porcelain pen. The first time you place your mug in a dishwasher, the remainder of the carbon will wash off)
3. Once you are done, let sit for 24 hours.
4. Bake as directed on the pen (bake temperatures and times vary based on pen brand).
5. Let sit 72 hours, then place in the dishwasher.
Fill up that mug with your favorite hot drink, and enjoy!
Shoot Location: Boston, MA / Photography: Cambria Grace Photography / Event Design, Styling and Porcelain Mug DIY: Lauren Wells Events / Floral Design: Pollen Floral Design / Venue: West Elm Fenway / Donuts: Union Square Donuts