Cake tasting aside, nothing is more fun during your engagement as a couple than starting a wedding registry. You get to play dream house, shop for everything you love and wait for the items to magically land at your doorstep. Once your wedding registry is done and sent to your guest list, there are no do-overs, so we partnered with Crate and Barrel to share 5 golden rules every couple should know about creating their wedding registries.
1. Kitchen Musts
If you’re not sure where to start registering, start with a neutral common ground between you and your beau with kitchen staples and essentials. Register for pots and pans, small appliances, high-quality knives and everything in between. The win here is to register for top-of-the-line items that you won’t have to buy again down the road. That also will warm you up for selecting more aesthetically distinct items such as decor.
1. Breville® Infuser Espresso Machine 2. Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set 3. Peugeot® Nancy Salt & Pepper Mill Set 4. Sura Grey Fringe Round Woven Placemat 5. Couture Copper Flatware Set 6. Le Creuset Graphite French Oven 7. French Kitchen Marble Utensil Holder 8. Bendt Wire Trivet-Cooling Rack 9. ZWILLING® J.A. Henckels Miyabi Birchwood 7-Piece Knife Block Set 10. KitchenAid® Copper Metallic Series Stand Mixer 11. Cuisinart® 2-Speed Smart Stick® Variable Speed Hand Blender 12. Wood Marble Square Platter 13. KitchenAid® Professional Nonstick 5-Piece Bakeware Set
2. White Dinnerware + Neutral Staples
Start with white dishes so you can build a solid foundation when stocking your kitchen and setting the table. You can dress it up or down depending on the occasion with placemats or tablecloths, silverware, glassware and serving items. Plus over time, you can add mix + match dishes in different colors and patterns to your collection. Some current trends and textures are definitely worth embracing though – some are classic kitchen finishes that won’t go out of style such as marble and copper.
Ten years ago we registered for a trendy set of dishes that I c-a-n-n-o-t look at it today. Five years in, it was out of style and overdone, so looking back I would have definitely registered for a timeless all-white china.
3. Treat Yourself to Fun Items
Once you have all staples covered — bedding, towels, pots and pans, appliances etc, it’s time to have some fun. Treat yourself to items that you simply love and that match your lifestyle. Love to entertain? Have a great balcony or porch that need some love? These unique items often make exceptionally great bridal shower gifts, especially if the items have a wide price range. Let your significant other have some fun too and divide and conquer picking favorites.
These fun items are not just limited to vases and photo frames, but also outdoor finds, kitchen gadgets, terrarium kits, holiday decor and bar accessories.
1. DuraCord® Oatmeal Hammock 2. Dottie Aqua Acrylic Drink Glass 3. Acrylic Drink Dispenser 4. Himalayan Salt Block and Salt Block Holder 5. Sunbrella® Charcoal 20″ Sq. Outdoor Pillow 6. Sunbrella® Shibori Navy Outdoor Pouf 7. Light Terra Cotta Planters 8. Carilo Cobalt Garden Stool 9. Table In A Bag 10. Schmidt Brothers® 4-Piece Bonded Teak Barbecue Tool Set 11. Weber® Blue Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 12. Aris Grey Fringe Throw
4. Splurge on Quality Towels and Bedding
These are two categories you never want to skimp on. You will be using your sheets and towels more than any single household item you have, so make sure you touch and feel them when you start your registry so they are everything you expect to be. Crate and Barrel has 170 stores across the U.S. Find your closest location here to build your registry in person or start one online. You can even attend one of their Private Registry Events to get inside tips from their registry experts. Psst… if you register in store, you’ll receive a set of their best-selling stemless wine glasses in an embroidered linen bag as a thank you!
5. Dream Big
Wedding registries are not limited to blenders and dishes, you can register for furniture too! Crate and Barrel offers a group gifting option for furniture, or you can also register for all the big-ticket items and use their 10% completion discount, which isn’t just good towards items remaining in your registry. It’s good towards a 10% savings in our store and online (yes, even furniture) for a full six months after your event.
1. Elize Natural Quilts and Pillow Shams 2. Washed Organic Cotton Coverlets and Euro Sham 3. Marble Tic-Tac-Toe Game Set 4. Morgan Black Sconce 5. Lindstrom White Duvet Covers and Pillow Shams 6. Atwood Nightstand 7. Penarth Walnut Oval Wall Mirror 8. 400 Thread Count Sateen Sheet Sets 9. Steele® Divided Canvas Sorter 10. Brushed Brass 5×7 Frame 11. Sola Hand Towels 12. Palladio Grey Tufted Rug
Ready for your soon-to-be newlywed shopping spree? Take a look at all the reasons why you should register with Crate and Barrel and happy registering!