DIY Potted Herb Favors
Alisa Lewis Event Design (who also owns a vintage rental company called The Attic) is sharing this favor idea from today’s French Country inspiration. These shabby chic terracotta pots with herbs brings Provence in the best of ways in the smallest of packages, and it is just the perfect little project for any spring or summer wedding. They also double as placecards or as centerpieces, so it’s a major win. All images beautifully captured by Rebecca Hollis Photography.
- terra cotta pots (can be bought in bulk online or at the dollar store)
- ivory chalk paint
- paint brush
- mixing bowl or vessel to mix paint
- herbs of your liking
- potting soil
- name tags (our designer made these to match our invite suite)
- 6-7″ twigs
- Pour about 1 cup of chalk paint into a bowl and mix with about 1/4 cup of water. Use brush to mix to achieve a thin, watery consistency.
- Brush outside and inner edges of terra cotta with the watery paint mixture. Immediately us the rag to wipe the excess paint and create the distressed, shabby white finish. Set aside the wet pot to dry and move on to the next.
Add stones to the bottom of the pot for drainage. Add herb plant and fill in spaces with extra potting soil. I potted lavender, thyme, oregano, and baby ivy. Glue the cut out name tags to the top of the twig using a tiny dab of hot glue. We placed our twigs in the DIY potted herbs and used as seating cards at each place setting.
Photographer: Rebecca Hollis Photography / Art Direction, Styling, and Coordination: Alisa Lewis Event Design / Floral Design: Habitat Events / Dresses: Jenny Packham “Foxglove” and “Syrie” via The Dress Theory / Jewelry: Cloth & Crown / Hair: Boom Swagger Salon / Makeup: Skin Chic / Vintage Rentals and Styling Props: The Attic | A Vintage Rental Company / Wedding Invitations and Paper Goods: Katie Linder Design