Free Classifieds FAQ
Beware of Scams
The most secure method of payment is Paypal. I highly recommend creating an account prior to selling/buying items.
- Never give out personal information such as home address, phone numbers or credit card numbers. Unfortunately a lot of people get scammed by trusting strangers.
- Meet buyers/sellers in a public place when dealing locally.
- Never wire funds via Western Union, Moneygram or any other wire service – anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
- Fake cashier checks and Money Orders are common, and banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- Ruffled is not involved in any transaction, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification". We are not able to control who is viewing the listings.
- Never give out financial information: bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.
- Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services and know that only a scammer will guarantee your transaction.
- Often times scammers are distant buyers. Beware if someone is offering you more money than what you’re asking for to ship International.
- Sellers, it is recommended to ask your potential buyers to include their phone numbers in their replies as a gesture of legit buyer proof. Scammers are often friendly and will ask you to see more images of the item you’re selling to establish a dialogue, prior to suggesting their payment method. Ask for buyer’s Paypal address as soon as you confirm they want to proceed and do not get caught up by odd stories (they do sound real).
Only accept Paypal if you’re selling online.