If we had to pick a favorite kind of DIY, it would of course be the ones that involve minimal difficulty but provide maximum wow factor. Luckily, Kathryn Godwin of Studio Cultivate (with photographer Emily Chidester) is sharing the tips behind one of these exact kinds of DIY projects — a DIY starburst centerpiece. Let’s take a look!
For this project, you will need:
-styrofoam balls minimum 1.5-2 inch diameter
-spray paint (we used gold)
-wood craft blocks
-1/4 inch wood dowels
-5/8inch boring bit
1. Stick toothpicks into styrofoam ball, staggering spacing.
2. Fill styrofoam ball with toothpicks all the way around, leaving a small nickel sized area empty.
3. Spray paint toothpick ball from multiple angles, spray paint dowels.
4. Poke dowel into styrofoam ball.
5. Use 1/4 inch drill bit into center of gold painted wood craft block.
6. Use clipper to trim dowel to preferred height.
7. Fit dowel into drilled hole of craft block.
8. To make a taper candle holder, use boring bit to drill hole into center of wood block.
9. Snugly guide candle into bored hole. If candle is loose, you can use a dab of hot glue in hole, and hold straight until wax and glue cools.
Use napkin ring DIY to create place setting details!