The Kentucky Derby is one of the social events of the year that we absolutely find so much fun; there’s so much wedding inspiration that comes from such a signature style like this! If you’re like us and you’re still reeling from all of the southern charm poured into a weekend and you need your Derby fix, you’ll love this DIY that Studio Cultivate created as captured by Alicia White.
Materials you need:
Bamboo wooden skewers
Drill and bit matching the size of the skewer
Gold spray paint
1. In a well-ventilated area, prepare your DIY site and lay down some newspaper to help keep the mess to a minimum.
2. Spray paint the plastic horses gold. Depending on the type of spray paint you use, you may need to spray a few coats to get the desired “gold” shine you want.
3. Once you’re satisfied with the color, let the plastic horses dry fully before drilling. This will take about 1-2 hours, depending on the amount of coats you sprayed.
4. Using the drill and the bit, slowly drill a hole in the bottom of the horse. Remove the drill bit periodically to check that the drilled hole is at the right size for the skewer. Repeat this step until all of the plastic horses are completed.
5. Taking the sharp end of the skewer, carefully and firmly insert it into drilled hole. If the skewer doesn’t fit well, you may need to continue drilling until you’re able to get the skewer in the plastic horse securely.
6. Trim end of skewer to preferred height to match cocktail glass height. We recommend putting the skewer in the cocktail glass before you’ve added the plastic horse and marking a decent cut line with a pencil.
There you have it! The cutest gold horse to ever grace your mint julep cups or your other fun Kentucky Derby-inspired cocktails. Jazz these horses up more and customize them to your liking!